Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Global Inequality

I found the podcast very interesting because it made me look at Global Inequality in a completely different light. I've always found it bothersome and unfair how some countries are so much poorer and lesser than us in the United States, but this is the first time that I realized it can actually affect us as well. Although America sometimes seems so much like it's own little world, it really is not and it is dependent upon other countries for its economy. When other countries' economies are struggling, the US definitely feels it.

What I really liked about this podcast and this class in general is that while some undergraduate classes only study race, gender, and class when covering social inequalities, this class also studies the inequality between developed and less developed countries, which I believe to be the greatest inequality of all.

This topic was very interesting to me and therefore I did some extra research, I found that the World Bank reported that the widening gap between rich and poor countries over the last thirty to forty years accounts for much of the increase in worldwide income. Isn't that interesting? It's amazing how much we really are as the saying goes "all in this together." I just wish there was a way that we could work together to solve these inequality crisis, but is there a way? Will there ever be a way?

inequality among individuals and households

No comments:

Post a Comment