Monday, October 5, 2009

Nature vs. Nurture

This debate is one that I have always been fascinated by and one that I have always had a difficult time deciding what to believe. While on one hand I do believe that certain characteristics are natural, like most males being physically stronger than most females and having specific things like hair on their chest and face and females being responsible for having children. I also on the other hand believe that some characteristics are nurtured, like a female being responsible for raising the children, while the husband goes to work each day, or the idea that males are the protectors of the household, etc...

This honestly really is difficult for me to choose one or the other because I find that I feel completely 50-50 about it. I do believe that society has had an affect on certain things, but at the same time we are biologically made one way or another and that is something I do not believe nurture can change.

It is interesting to me though, just how much times have changed. I am currently taking a History class and we were studying the relationships between males and females in the past, along with their roles in society. So much has changed and it's fascinating to study, because those things that have changed I do believe have been nurtured by society. For example, the idea of separate spheres has almost completely disappeared in the modern day family, even though it does still exist, times have dramatically changed.

So...nature vs. nurture, which one do I believe? Would it be ok to say both?

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment